Sunday, May 16, 2010

Analysis of Branchless Banking in India

It is easy to agree that branchless banking is a preferred way to serve rural India.  However, I have been trying to get my business mind to arrive at the same conclusion by looking at the numbers.  I would like to go thru' such an exercise here at the risk of getting beaten up.

I am starting this exercise by leveraging the wonderful work done by CGAP, notably these two publications:
    ○ BC Banking Channels in India - G Chen
    ○ Building Viable Agent Networks in India


Branchless Banking might mean different things to different people.  In this article, I am looking at the use of agents/merchants to serve the users in villages.

Target list of services provided at a branchless bank include:
    ○ Cash In/Out Services
    ○ NREGA disbursement
    ○ Micro Lending
    ○ Micro Insurance...

I will discuss this subject by looking at three aspects:
    ○ State of Branchless Banking
    ○ Bridging the gap in Branchless Banking

Please do let me know your opinion about this industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment