I was keeping this post for the new year. As all of us are being carried away by the developments of this week, I figured it is appropriate to gaze into the crystal ball (and again in the New Year).
- More use of debit cards, resulting in a cheaper tender for merchants (PIN Debit).
- Alternative payment systems to reduce cost of accepting payment cards
- Consolidation among players in the P2P and alternative payments space
- Government use of payment cards to distribute social security and other benefits to citizens
- Initial usage models of Android phones-based applications to bridge online and retail
- Commercial deployments of NFC will be delayed
- Delay in deployment of contactless readers at retailers
- Mass transit, the beneficiary of high gasoline prices, might be collateral damage as cities struggle to invest over the next couple of years. The reason this aspect shows up here is because Mass Transit payments have led the deployment of contactless acceptance infrastructure